Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 3

Hello yall.
It's going pretty well. The naps are starting to feel different. Not necessarily the way they're supposed to feel, but different nonetheless. Probably a step in the right direction.

I think I'm starting to get some REM during the naps. I've been seeing some colors and flashes of light while asleep, and during the 9:30 AM cycle I distinctly remember being inside a truck with someone. I wouldn't call it a full blown dream, but it's a start. Exciting huh?

I thought so. That is, until I woke up and felt like crap haha. It was drowsiness at it's worst. The kind that makes you feel all confused and disoriented, like waking up from anesthesia. Somehow I managed to haul myself out of bed despite the zombification. I've been reading through Steve Pavlina's sleep logs again and this caught my attention. (Happened to be day 3 for him too)
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep-log-day-3/

He was thinking about taking more naps of the same length. The idea makes sense, you would still be depriving yourself of REM sleep if the naps were short. I thought it was a good idea, (I was also very tired) so I decided to try it. I stuck an extra nap right in the middle of two cycle at 11:30 AM. It seemed to help a good deal, even if it was just a mental thing. Far less drowsiness upon awakening.

I got hit with the same drowsiness after the 5:30 PM nap and tried the extra nap technique again. I woke up easy and quick from the second nap. Had enough energy to play DDR and then write this. :)

No superhuman benefits yet. Other than the ability to eat my own weight in food everyday. =P
The thing is, I really don't feel much worse than usual. (And I usually feel decent, for the record)

Thanks to everyone who took the poll!

Results from Day 3
Adherence to schedule: 9/10 - Didn't oversleep, but I kinda lied around in bed doing nothing for a few minutes. I also added the two extra naps, but I'm not counting that against me.

Mental awareness: 7/10 - Good with the exception of right after those two naps.

Physical energy: 7/10 - Got some decent exercise thanks to Dance Dance Revolution. Wasn't feeling up to running with the ol' XC team though. :( Maybe next week.

Productivity: 6/10 - Didn't finish my book, but I learned how to fold a paper crane. =) I'm not going to worry about productivity too much until the adaptation is over though.

Comments: I found out that I really like listening to classical music at night. It's especially nice while reading too. Another thing I noticed is that I'm losing the ability to sense what time of day it is. I guess it's an understandable side effect of napping so often.

No comments: