Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 3

Hello.

So this morning I messed it up again. Doh. But not too bad. I was tired enough to take a nap by the evening. Now it's in the AM and already I feel like I've been doing this for several uninterrupted. Nothing much to report for today.

Not sleep related but oh well:
I spent most of the day screwing around with our new computer. A fair mental challenge, or at at least a challenge of patience. The main problem was Windoze XP doesn't support the spiffy new SATA hard disks. I don't know what is was, but it took me basically all day to find the right driver. However, in the process I learned two things. #1, 64 bit Windows is incompatible with damn near everything. My favorite example of this is a self extracting driver file for x64 systems that won't extract because it's a 32 bit application! Has the world gone mad!? I think so.
#2, I learned how to slipstream install Windows. Really cool.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_to_slipstream_windows_xp_sp3_and_vista_sp1
What this allows you to do is take a Windows install disk, the latest service pack, and any extra updates/hotfixes/drivers (like the SATA one I needed) and mash em all together into one iso file you can burn to disk and use to install Windows quicker and easier. It even lets you enter the product key, among other things, before hand so you can pop in the disk and just let it install without any user input. This is especially useful if you don't have a floppy drive and can't do the F6 thing to install 3rd party drivers. Although, I actually did have a floppy after our Dell generously made a cable donation, muhaha.

Oooh, ahhh, special.

I hope the quad core and 4GB of ram can handle DOOM cause that's the best game we have right now haha.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it can handle that... and aren't all those lights pretty!