Sunday, August 3, 2008

Day 6

Today was alright. Didn't make any ground breaking progress, but I was able to perform normal people functions.

In a nutshell, today was pretty much like yesterday. Overslept a little in the morning, and the rest of the day was fantastic. =P

Today, however, was the first time I slept somewhere other than my house.
I was over a friend's house pretending to be a lumber jack and collecting wood to build a bonfire. I wasn't terribly helpful, but it was somewhat physically challenging. When 5:30 rolled around I went up to my car and took a nap in the back seat. As soon as it was over I went right back to work no problem.

The problem area is in the morning, the 5:30 AM and 9:30 AM naps. I think once I'm able to cut my sleep short during these naps I'll be fully adapted. Then maybe a day or two more and I'll start to feel the nice perks that are supposed to come with Uberman.

Kevin was thinking and suggested taking more frequent naps, as it seems it would help the adaptation without messing anything up. I had tried this once before and didn't seem to have any problems. Steve Pavlina also mentioned it once on his blog. I think that will be my secret weapon to finally rid myself of early morning NREM sleep.

I've found I have a bunch of stuff to do at night, but I'm often too drowsy to make a full hearted attempt at it. This leads to sitting around, which of course leads to boredom. Once I'm tired and bored all I want to think about is going to bed. Not so much to get rest, but just to do something. That's bad. I need to get into the mentality that sleep isn't normal at night, doing stuff is normal at night, just like it is during the day. Unfortunately, I can't go out anywhere at night, and (usually) most of my friends are asleep. I think I may try going for a walk outside if this lethargy hits again. My neighborhood is pretty calm so my chances of being raped/maimed are minimal.

Thanks for the comments Phil! =)

Results from Day 6
Adherence to schedule: 7/10 - Overslept once, but the other naps went normally. Even the one in my car was relaxing!

Mental awareness: 8/10 - I used a chainsaw and still have all my fingers.

Physical energy: 9/10 - Hauled some logs around. Went to church too, that was a workout. =P

Productivity: 9/10 - We had a great start on making the bonfire today! And I folded a bunch of paper cranes.

Comments: It's hard to tell if I'm actually asleep or not. I often feel like I'm somewhat conscious throughout the whole nap, though after a certain point my thoughts drift to the point of no return. Then, usually, I'll suddenly remember I'm napping again and that is often when I check the clock and realize it's time to get up. I'm definitely getting something out of it even if I don't go completely to sleep. Also, today after the car nap it felt like way more than 20 minutes had passed. Felt more like an hour.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Mental awareness: 8/10 - I used a chainsaw and still have all my fingers."

Bright sunshiney day.

Keeping it real, if not awake.